[LINK] Measuring completeness of Wikipedia [was: Wikipedia's on the wane: study]

Stephen Wilson swilson at lockstep.com.au
Mon Aug 10 11:01:45 AEST 2009

Birch, Jim wrote:
> A more honest headline would be: Edit rates reveal Wikipedia's initial
> mission substantially complete.
I'd like to test the idea that Wikipedia is nearing completeness.  There
are many assumptions built into Wikpedia about disseminating knowledge,
many of which seem to reflect tacit and unexamined (?) free market
ideology.

The edit rate drop off only indicates that the sum total of what
contributers want to write is nearing completion.  But if the mission is
something like to capture all the world's knowledge, then what matters
more is the sum total of what everyone else needs to read.

How do writers know the readers' needs?  It seems to me that the way
Wikipedia is set up, and moreover its proud chaos, indicate a deep
belief in an all-powerful free marketplace of knowledge.  But as we all
know (everyone that is except almost all western politicians) free
markets are only guaranteed to work when there is efficiency and
transparency.

Has anyone ever analysed these conditions?  Maybe copyright, peer review
processes and the like introduce cost and power imbalances in the bazaar
that is Wikipedia.

And while information may want to be free, that's not the point.  Here
we're talking about knowledge: one level up.

Cheers,

Stephen Wilson
Lockstep Consulting
www.lockstep.com.au.