[LINK] Learn Central

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Aug 10 17:00:12 AEST 2009

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Tom Worthington (Adjunct Lecturer, ANU) writes,
>
>> ... Google Wave might be used for collaborative education with a learning management
>> system: think social networking for a tutorial group ..
>
> And Tom, you and others may be interested in the new Learn Central Org?
>  http://www.learncentral.org

Interesting, but not quite what I had in mind. I want to use social
networking tools for formal education. The students would use social
networking  tools to learn in collaborative groups. The system would
automatically collect up what they did into their e-portfolio, so it
could be formally assessed.

Learn Central appears to be an online form for educators, much like
those provided by EdNa <http://www.edna.edu.au> and others. If it can
provide a forum for online collaboration that would be good. I have
found the Wikiversity disappointing for this
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/08/wikiversity-needs-more-wiki-and-less.html>.

There is a need to be able to formally recognize contributions through
such forums. This could be similar in concept to assessing student
social networking contributions: the educators contributions would be
collected up and would earn them the same recognition as having written
a paper.

--
Tom Worthington FACS HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au