[LINK] Australian Web history

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Aug 11 10:55:33 AEST 2009

At 10:39 +1000 11/8/09, Stilgherrian wrote:
>On 11/08/2009, at 8:48 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
>>  Is it just another cute razzle-dazzle, or is there some useful
>>  information in there?
>
>It's an interactive data visualisation showing changes over time
>(2001+) in traffic (visits, time per visit etc, from Nielsen data) to
>various websites.
>
>I suppose we could get someone to write it all out as a table of
>numbers for you, on parchment in roman numerals? It wouldn't be quite
>the same, though, and it'd be harder to see the relationships.

Stil, I'm always happy to accept criticisms of being a
traditionalist, resistant to change, a curmudgeon, a die-hard
sceptic, etc.

But my point here is that a history of the Web should logically use
the protocols and standards that *are* the Web, and not depend on
proprietary add-ons and thereby block access to a significant
proportion of users.

There are plenty of standards-based ways to convey the data, in
tabular form, in graphical form, and even in animated graphical form;
and there have been for many, many Web-years.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong