[LINK] AMC-CTF guards Australia against $1500 Villains

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Aug 27 10:33:03 AEST 2009

Maybe I'd better explain why I thought the article was significant.

No, it wasn't anything to do with whinging Yanks, nor film-makers.

Here's my follow-up posting on the privacy list.

At 10:11 +1000 27/8/09, Kevin Lurie wrote:
>And the story is big because...
>Um...
>He's a [feature] film maker?

A fair question.

I thought the article was relevant because it highlights the way in
which financial transaction services providers have been forced to
become spies on their customers:

>Mr Steinhoff did not realise, but every financial institution - not
>only PayPal - is obliged to run identity checks when transactions
>reach a threshold under "know your customer" obligations covered by
>the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act of
>2006.

And the latest amendments extended the scheme to a vast array of
other businesses.

We deplored this when it was done in East Germany, and in the
'People's' Republic of China.

But we've accepted it here, without justification, but simply because
the national security extremists said they wanted it.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong