[LINK] ebook readers -- here they come!

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Aug 31 14:22:18 AEST 2009

At 01:39 PM 31/08/2009, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>I've no doubt that many of you espouse the freedom of using an open-
>source 'solution' to the e-book problem, but if I was asked to place
>money on the eventual 'winner', based on previous history of mass-
>market boxes, I'd be hard pressed to select any Linux-based device.

To what do you attribute that? Is it because of the economics of
proprietary systems and marketing? Kindle was the first major effort,
and part of that was the availability of content that wasn't already
available in other formats [Project Gutenberg]. Epub seems to be the
alternate 'standard' for now for content across platforms [other than
the pdf, jpg, html, etc.]. It seems to require a balancing act of
hardware performance [battery life and grey levels, storage, weight,
sturdiness] and content drivers.

BTW, if you haven't heard, we're missing a minister in Victoria, lost
on the mountain for about 48 hours.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com