[LINK] Annoying/Abusive phone calls from Westpac

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Dec 14 09:11:23 AEDT 2009

I need some advice.

For the past seven months, an automated Westpac system has been ringing
my home phone number and wants to talk with a Mr Victor somebody. The
name seems foreign and we can't make out who they are asking for.

It would appear that this Victor person is behind in some of his
payments and Westpac is trying to contact him. It would also seem that
he has given them our phone number, it was his old number and got
allocated to us when we moved in in March, or it is an error.

We have tried calling the Westpac complaints number and their story is
that they do not know who they are trying to ring and they are unable to
search their systems to find out why they are ringing our number.

That means they cannot stop their system from making these calls.

Their advice is that, if we can't identify who they are trying to call,
we will just have to put up with it until it stops - which is not
guaranteed, as there are all sorts of scenarios where it goes on for ever.

First question:

Is Westpac in breach of any laws?

Second question:
How do we deal with this?

The obvious answer to the second question is that I call the bank and
escalate it until it gets sorted. If that is the case, then I'd like to
be prepared, hence the first question.

--

Regards
brd