[LINK] Green light for internet filter plans - ACS position

Philip Argy pargy at argystar.com
Wed Dec 16 08:52:47 AEDT 2009

The two key concerns of the ACS, as expressed in our report, are that the
government not mislead people into thinking that somehow filtering will make
the Internet 'safe', and that there be proper transparency and an
independent overview of the black list mechanism.  The danger of creeping
enlargement of the blacklist and the criteria for blacklisting are what we
think needs vigilance, and that focus is lost by a broadbrush opposition to
any kind of content regulation because it allows the government to accuse us
of supporting child abuse material, which we do not.  It is also important
to ensure that the blacklist does not go beyond the takedown regime in place
for domestic material (which is also a mechanism that needs to be closely
watched to ensure that the takedown criteria do not also evince creeping
enlargement).

I don't expect everyone to agree with our more finely targeted criticisms
but I'd prefer that our approach was not misrepresented as being weak - it
is our considered view of the most effective way to achieve protection
against an excess of regulatory zeal, and a false sense of public security,
in a context where there is an existing takedown regime and government
determination to implement a blocking regime to 'fulfil' an unachievable
2007 election commitment to 'ensure' online safety for minors.

Philip Argy
Immediate Past President
Australian Computer Society Inc
pargy at acslink.net.au