[LINK] Blacklist scope creep

Philip Argy pargy at argystar.com
Wed Dec 16 16:52:02 AEDT 2009

I don't agree that the chances of preventing scope creep to innocuous
material are lower than the chances of preventing filtering of child abuse
material.  The media and public attitude would be quite different. The
Government's statements implicitly concede that.  Senator Fielding has
already flagged his interest in protecting the balance.

 The ACS task force report (http://www.acs.org.au/ispfiltering/) called for
strong independent oversight and increased transparency of the blacklist.
Senator Conroy has promised to deliver that.  We await with interest to see
how that promise is reflected in the draft of the legislation and in the
administrative arrangements proposed to implement it.  You can expect us to
be vocal if the promises are not met.

Philip