[LINK] Green light for internet filter plans - ACS position

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Thu Dec 17 08:57:53 AEDT 2009

Philip wrote:

> The two key concerns of the ACS, as expressed in our report, are that
> the government not mislead people into thinking that somehow filtering

> will make the Internet 'safe', and that there be proper transparency
> and an independent overview of the black list mechanism.  The danger
> of creeping enlargement of the blacklist and the criteria for
> blacklisting are what we think needs vigilance, and that focus is lost

> by a broadbrush opposition to any kind of content regulation

The problem is that by proposing transparency and independant overview
of the blackist the ACS is accepting that government (or any other)
censorship is an acceptable option.

> because it allows the government to accuse us of supporting child
> abuse material, which we do not.

That's disingenuous.

We may be accused of eating live kitties and sacrificing babies on Mount
Ainslie; that is no reason to accept the unacceptable or support the
unsupportable. Worst, it shows that we've been cowed by these silly
threats. The more outrageous the accusation (and it doesn't get any more
outrageous than that), the more desperate the government appears and the
less credible it becomes, other than to the tiny extremist element to
which this proposal panders.

> I don't expect everyone to agree with our more finely targeted
> criticisms but I'd prefer that our approach was not misrepresented as
> being weak - it is our considered view of the most effective way to
> achieve protection against an excess of regulatory zeal, and a false
> sense of public security, in a context where there is an existing
> takedown regime and government determination to implement a blocking
> regime to 'fulfil' an unachievable
> 2007 election commitment to 'ensure' online safety for minors.

I suggest that the approach would be better based on sound technical
advice. We know that the proposal is, as you say and as we all know,
unachievable - and yet the ACS is suggesting how it should be achieved.

I'd be sad to resign from the ACS, but I couldn't in good conscience
remain a member of any organisation that either gave or implied anything
less than outright rejection of this plan.

My personal opinions, of course, not those of my employer.

Fred