[LINK] Green light for internet filter plans

rene rene.lk at libertus.net
Thu Dec 17 13:25:15 AEDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:38:05 +1100, Stilgherrian wrote:

> On 17/12/2009, at 8:58 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>> So, if someone finds a link on an o/s site or even within an
>> article that has a link that is deemed RC, how does one know they
>> are linking to something that would incur such an outrageous fine?
>>

> They know when they receive ACMA's link deletion notice.

Yes, and the reports of the ACMA warning "that linking to sites on the list
could incur fines of up to $11,000 a day" did not IIRC mention, or
certainly did not make clear, that the fines of up to $11,000 a day apply
to content *hosts*, not end-users nor content providers who do not host
their own publications.

For example, if you or I, publish a link to one of the URLs on the ACMA
blacklist (whether or not knowing it is on the blacklist) on some chat
forum, blog, or on any other web site, the 'person' who would receive the
'link deletion notice' from ACMA is the chat forum, blog, or other web
*hosting* provider, not the e.g. blog content provider and/or any other
user of hosting services who was actually the one who uploaded the link.
IOW, hosts are liable for the activities of end-users *if* they do not
promptly comply with ACMA's link and/or page deletion notices.

The Cth Internet censorship laws in the form of the Broadcasting Services
Act does not regulate the activities of Internet users, other than those
who are ISPs and other types of content *hosting* service providers.

Irene