[LINK] Green light for internet filter plans

rene rene.lk at libertus.net
Thu Dec 17 17:09:24 AEDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:39:21 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> At 04:23 PM 17/12/2009, rene wrote:
>> And the govt appears to have made
>> clear they intend to require blocking of specific URLs, not entire
>> domains.
>>
> Now that's a leap. Since Senator [goodness I'm so tempted to put the
> word I think of with his name] Conroy doesn't have much clue about
> the details of the Internet, the distinction of a domain versus a
> page may be out of his knowledge base. Good luck with that!

Well, it's not a leap and I don't believe Conroy's that clueless.

Under existing law ACMA adds specific page URLs to its blacklist, and
everything the govt has said indicates that will continue to be the case:

For example:
"14. How will you address filtering of high usage sites (such as YouTube)
to avoid overloading an ISP’s network?

The Government is aware of advice that adding a URL from high traffic sites
to the RC Content list may have an impact on internet performance. Owners
of most popular overseas-hosted websites that provide user-generated
content already have arrangements in place to take down offensive material
(including that which would reach the RC-rated threshold) and are keen to
remove content such as child sexual abuse material.

In consultation with owners of popular overseas sites, consideration is
being given to exempt high traffic sites from having their material
included on the RC Content list if they implement arrangements to either
take down identified RC-rated content or to block it from access by
internet protocol (IP) addresses in Australia.
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/funding_and_programs/cybersafety_plan/internet_serv
ice_provider_isp_filtering/isp_filtering_live_pilot/isp_filtering_-_frequen
tly_asked_questions

If blocking of entire domains was intended, the above would not refer to
the problem of "adding a URL from high traffic sites".

Also:
"The Government will also add [to the RC Content List] the specific
internet addresses (URLs) of known child abuse material through sharing
lists with highly regarded international agencies..."
http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2009/115

Much else has been said which imo makes clear it's about blocking specific
URLs, but I haven't got time to find all the relevant
transcripts/documents/references.

Irene