[LINK] NBN Broadband Plan

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed Dec 23 11:21:17 AEDT 2009

I don't fully understand what layered services NBN Co. is proposing for the NBN.  Can anyone clarify this point?

A GPON network is lit fibre but not much more, as I understand it.

Ethernet at layer-2 is also fine, assuming it's just a standard for local interfaces and not intended to go end-to-end, from provider to consumer.

But all the other services mentioned need layer-3 services.  For example, I think QoS is fundamentally important but the standard Differentiated Services needs a network layer.  And in Tom's point-5, NBN Co. agree that IPTV will need layer-3.

David

--

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 18:00, Tom Worthington wrote:
> Of note:
>
> 1. NBN Co plans to provide Ethernet: "It is NBN Co’s view that the Layer
> 2 products for mass-market fibre services should be based on Ethernet
> delivery, utilising GPON as the physical access technology. Please note
> that NBN Co has yet to define Layer 2 offers beyond the mass-market."
>
> 2. NBN Plans support for voice, video and other QoS sensitive
> applications, with 4 classes of service.
>
> 3. A Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) is being considered with an
> Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) integrated within the Optical Network
> Termination (ONT).
>
> 4. In its consultation process NBN Co. specifically mentions the
> Communications Alliance: "... NBN Co will continue to collaborate with
> industry as part of the Communications Alliance process."
>
> 5. NBN Co intends to support multi-cast protocols, which allows for
> broadcast like services for IPTV and digital radio: "As NBN Co intends
> to deliver a multi-cast capability, some Layer 3 awareness will be
> required within the NBN to support the delivery of IPTV services."

David