[LINK] Post-Copenhagen

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Wed Dec 23 13:46:43 AEDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, David Lochrin wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 December 2009 10:56, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> And neither are Brazil, South Africa, India and China [sure the
>> conference was a failure].  As far as they are concerned,
>> the conference was a success.
>>
>> Their position is: You developed countries have been spewing out
>> stuff since the industrial revolution. You need to make up for all
>> the emissions you've already put out before you start clamping down
>> on us newcomers.
>
> It sounds good, but what does it mean?  Should Brazil, South Africa, India and China nullify efforts by the developed countries to reduce greenhouse load by being allowed to go down the same historical path?  Sorry guys, whether it's fair or not we're all in this together and Earth is the only planet we have.
>
> And furthermore, those countries have reaped some big benefits from all that greenhouse production by the developed world so they're already implicated.

The will to do nothing is overwhelming.    Climate Change (an expression
created by a right wing journalist to soften the emotive value) has been
hijacked pretty much by the conservatives at the moment.   The reason there
is no proper agreement is the sabotage by all sides of the political fence
by their conservative factions.   Australia for example is beholden to
the Greenhouse Mafia, just like Amerika.   China, to its credit admits
a problem but will do its own thing to mitigate it.   India wants to be
China and is just about to undergo a growth spurt, so it does not want
to be held accountable.   South America wants to be free of Amerika - it
will do what it can to make that goal, in spite of pollution.

The bottom line is, no one wants to take any pain out of this.   The frog
boiling allegory is actually observable!   In the end, if it was
a catastrophic event like an extinction asteroid that had a calculable
zero day and a countdown, I am not so sure that we wouldn't have the same
level of agreement to take direct action at any cost.    The more the
world.gov prevaricates over this, the less I think will be done until
the so called "paradigm shift of consciousness" finally over takes us
and by then it will be too late for the less developed economies and
social structures....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html