[LINK] more myki woes

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Dec 24 12:27:25 AEDT 2009

The Australian has more articles than the Age on the Myki card. I wonder why?

I love this one at the end. So, software that has been in development
for yonks will solve this delay problem? I don't know how this system
works, but there must be some volume contention going on, either on a
network if self-contained on the tram or bus, from many people
hitting the readers at the same time. Imagine peak hour on a crowded
tram, for example.

Fresh woes for myki with swipe cards criticised for delays | Herald
Sun (24 December 2009)
  http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/fresh-woes-for-myki-with-swipe-cards-criticised-for-delays/story-e6frf7kx-1225804384514
  http://snipurl.com/ttqdt
[snip beginning]
"When recently returning from Ballarat at Parliament station, I saw
two female public servants testing myki cards," Mr Mulder said [from
the Opposition]. "One said to the other, 'the cards are reading slowly'."

Mr Mulder said documents he had obtained under Freedom of Information
showed myki would slow down trams because passengers needed to
register as they got on and off.

"(Premier) John Brumby must defer the introduction of myki in
Melbourne until every software problem that results in overcharging
or unacceptably slow touching on and off of myki cards is solved," he
said. "At more than three years late and at least $350 million over
budget, myki is rapidly becoming Australia's most detested,
failure-prone plastic card."

But myki spokeswoman Jean Ker Walsh said slow touch-on and touch-off
speeds were expected.

New software was being implemented to improve the touch speeds, she said.

"Once the system goes live, touch speeds are expected to be
consistently about a second," Ms Ker Walsh said.
[end]

Vandals hit myki system | Herald Sun (24 December 2009)
  http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vandals-hit-myki-system/story-e6frf7jo-1225777015754
  http://snipurl.com/ttqeh

UP to 60 per cent of the new myki transport ticket machines have been
subjected to vandalism or graffiti months before the system begins operation.

A Sunday Herald Sun survey of the new ticket machines found smashed,
broken and fire-bombed units across the network.

That comes as a flaw in the troubled myki ticketing system means
passengers will be charged more than $2 extra per trip if the
machines malfunction.
[snip]
"Unlike the old Metcard system, myki software will be able to tell
when myki machines are down and this will allow the operator to get
them fixed quickly," he said.
[yeah, right]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com