[LINK] The once and future e-book: on reading in the digital age

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Feb 5 09:10:29 AEDT 2009

At 01:04 AM 5/02/2009, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > In short, the terms (of e-publishing) are *unbelievably favorable*
> > for publishers. It essentially moves them from print publishing
> > margins to software publishing margins: pay once for the creation of
> > the content, sell an infinite number of times with no additional per-
> > unit cost.

Must be something in the water. The topic of ebooks has been on
several online writing groups, as you could expect.

- Agents and editors love ebooks because they work with so many at
the same time and can take them with them everywhere.
- Publishers seem to be moving that direction slowly, not sure if
there is or isn't a market
- Authors are fighting the royalties battle, like the farmer selling
to suppliers, since that is about their only assurance of earning for
providing the majority of the effort. Some publishers are taking
advantage and changing the rules to the author's disadvantage
- Book sellers like Amazon are getting on board; reduces their
physical inventory storage requirements

One distribution method that has slipped off the radar since the
Kindle release [also keep in mind they aren't very useful outside the
US, but are getting there with some international access to product
in the works it's been said] is the POD model. POD publishers are
expanding, like lulu.com and iUniverse. But I haven't heard much more
about local POD that A&R were to be installing. Has anyone seen or
bought a POD book from A&R here?

I was reading a few articles on this saying that the wait can be as
little as a few minutes for the product to be printed, but that must
be a really short book. I've never seen one, though.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007