[LINK] PI discovers flaw in Google phone tracking system

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Feb 5 22:17:55 AEDT 2009

From: Simon Davies <simon at 8020thinking.com>
>  Dear Advisory Board members,
>
>  Just a quick note to let you know that we have discovered a security
>  flaw in Google's new global phone tracking system that was launched
>  yesterday.
>
>  For anyone interested please read our report at
>  http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-563567
>  <http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd%5B347%5D=x-347-563567>
>  and spread the word as much as you can.

"... the danger arises when a second party can gain physical access
to a user's phone and enables Latitude without the owner's knowledge.
At present we are unaware of a way this could be achieved remotely.

"We have considered the following five scenarios:

*   An employer provides staff with Latitude-enabled phones on which
a reciprocal sharing agreement has been enabled, but does not inform
staff of this action or that their movements will be tracked.
     [or simply tells them it comes with the job, i.e. retrospective,
unilaterally-imposed conditions of service]

*   A parent gifts a mobile phone to a child without disclosing that
the phone has been Latitude-enabled.

*   A partner, friend or other person gains access to an unattended
phone (left on a bar or in the house) and enables Latitude without
the other person's knowledge.

*   A Latitude-enabled phone is given as a gift.
     [spouse, lover, etc.]

*   A phone left unattended, for example with security personnel or a
repair shop, is covertly enabled.

>  Best wishes
>
>  Simon

[These are similar to aspects discussed on the APF Board list today.

[The design and the announcement make clear that Google is thinking
more, and more constructively, about privacy than it used to.  And
that's very welcome.

[But designing applications of inherently intrusive technologies is
seriously challenging.

[The company has again invited negative comment by the public,
consumer and privacy advocates, the media, and regulators, by failing
to conduct prior consultations with the kinds of organisations that
can provide insights.  That includes PI internationally, EPIC in the
USA, and APF and EFA in Australia.]

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong