[LINK] A Definition Of Piracy In The Digital Age

Stephen Wilson swilson at lockstep.com.au
Fri Feb 6 17:57:14 AEDT 2009

Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 01:36:28PM +1000, Lea de Groot wrote:
>
>> Piracy is simply a breech of the defined Terms of Use of the content
>> in question.
>>
> nope. piracy is an act of theft involving the illegal seizure of a ship,
> boat or other form of aquatic transport. it often involves violence
> and/or murder.

This is quite the silliest rhetorical flourish I've seen in a very long
time.

The Collins English Dictionary includes the definition of piracy as
"unauthorised use or appropriation of patented or copyrighted
material".  By all means let's debate the wrongs and rights of digital
content piracy measures, but it's an odd debating tactic to start out by
denying the existence of this form of piracy.

Cheers,

Steve Wilson.

PS.  Like the PM, I ordinarily pooh pooh the pulling out of dictionaries
as "high school debating tactics" (see
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24538795-21147,00.html)
but flatly denying the accepted meaning of a word is kindergarten stuff.