[LINK] Backscatter [was: My communications setup, email, Web...]

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Feb 6 18:30:34 AEDT 2009

Robin Whittle wrote:

> Also, if my email address is used as the sender address of a spam, I
> get dozens to hundreds of backscatter messages which make it past
> SpamAssassin (which is not really meant to catch them, though it has
> the option) into my Inbox.

I have noticed a huge rise in backscatter using my own email address.
All the bounces I have examined are Russian or Ukrainian.

So far it is manageable, only a few every hour.

I made the "mistake" (?) of training my spam filter on these bounces.
Now they wind up in my Junk folder, which is not the best way to deal
with backscatter, is it? Now I am concerned that I will miss a genuine
bounce (although genuine bounces occur only rarely for me).

Anyone else notice more bounces from Spam that attributes you as the
sender? Over the last two days?

cheers
rickw

p.s.  IIRC, a member of Link was victimised bigtime by backscatter a few
years back, receiving 10,000's of bounces over a period of days.