[LINK] E-books: a quick calculation

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sat Feb 7 13:29:43 AEDT 2009

On 07/02/2009, at 12:49 PM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> Note that I didn't make an absolute judgement, Jan.
>
> I actually couldn't say whether the US measure of paper book carbon
> included pulping costs, but on the balance, neither did I include
> disposal costs of e-book readers. Jury still out? I agree. More study
> needed? Definitely.

But apart from all that, there are enough books in the world already
to let people read for many generations, and yet I doubt that any e-
book system will last even half a generation (being wildly optimistic).

So where do we draw the line?

I find it spurious for people to claim that any kind of e-book
production is 'green', unless they are myopic enough to only consider
the current moment in time.

iT