[LINK] A Definition Of Piracy In The Digital Age

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sat Feb 7 15:42:09 AEDT 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:57:14PM +1100, Stephen Wilson wrote:
> This is quite the silliest rhetorical flourish I've seen in a very long
> time.

ah, yes, of course - challenging loaded terms that have embedded
assumptions is just a "silly rhetorical flourish". it's far more
sensible to just accept the agenda-setting language of propagandists.

if you accept their propagandist terminology, you accept their terms of
reference for the debate...terms which, of course, favour them.

> The Collins English Dictionary includes the definition of piracy as
> "unauthorised use or appropriation of patented or copyrighted
> material".  By all means let's debate the wrongs and rights of digital
> content piracy measures, but it's an odd debating tactic to start out by
> denying the existence of this form of piracy.

i'm rejecting the propaganda term for what it is. and i'm far from the
only person in the world who deliberately takes this stance.

if you want to talk about "copyright infringement" then, by all means,
do so. but please without the hysterical propaganda allusions to rape
and murder on the high seas.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>