[LINK] RFC: eCommerce Perspective on Carbon Trading

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Feb 8 15:19:12 AEDT 2009

Certainly tight and coherent, Roger .. interesting and comprehensive.

Haven't read our government's December White Paper, but would strongly
opinion we do NOT allow banks and brokers as carbon-credit speculators.

It happened with local water-rights & imho, Japan will regret allowing
their banks entry. I wonder, have you formed an opinion regarding this?

http://www.carbonpositive.net/viewarticle.aspx?articleID=1350

"Only 501 firms have signed up to Japan’s voluntary emissions trading
scheme trial, half of the 1000 target set by the government when it
launched the scheme in October.

There were 446 firms signing up to greenhouse emission reduction targets
by the deadline on December 12, with 50 others joining as emissions
traders and another five 5 domestic-only participants with no access to
UN offset credits, according to MF Global. The largest power companies,
as well as chemical manufacturers and oil producers are among them..

Among the non-targets members are Japanese banks, which were allowed in
to the scheme at the last minute when the government relaxed its ban on
financial intermediaries participating as speculators in the trial carbon
market. Brokers are still prohibited.

Trading is scheduled to start in earnest in February but participants can
begin buying and selling each other’s emissions as soon as the government
approves their targets."

Cheers,
Stephen (experience no probs with your new addy, Roger)