[LINK] Victoria Bushfires

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Feb 9 11:41:07 AEDT 2009

At 09:03 AM 9/02/2009, Stilgherrian wrote:
>I'll repeat a plea from the CFA yesterday for people to NOT
>visit  their site unless there is a specific need ... overloaded by
>the merely curious.   ...

Yes. Geoscience Australia's national bushfire monitoring system
"Sentinel" was reporting  "Service Temporarily Unavailable" over the
weekend. It appears the system was overloaded by high demand. This
was the public version of the service and hopefully the separate
service provided to firefighters was operating. Even so it is
unfortunate the public service was not able to cope with demand when needed.

The problem is that Sentinel tries to provide a very interactive and
customized service to each user. As a result the system can become
overloaded in periods of high demand. The web has features built in
to reduce the load, but this would require a comprise of the
interactive design.

In 2003 I suggested some changes to allow the Sentinel  system to
cope better with high demand <http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/enet.html>.
CSIRO, who at that time were maintaining the system, adopted some of
the suggestions.

As an example, I suggested providing canned maps of major events, so
that the general public would not need to use the interactive
application. In the current version this is implemented as "Current
Overview" <http://sentinel.ga.gov.au/Overview/>. The usefulness of
this feature could be improved by moving the link up from tenth place
in the menu to a more prominent position. Also the paragraph about it
on the bottom of the page could be moved to the top of the page. More
people would be likely to use the feature.

In addition the "Cache-Control" of  "no-cache" could be removed from
the maps provided in the overview. Maps at fixed points in time on
unchanging web pages would then be created. When there was a new map,
it would be placed on a newly created page. To get the latest map the
user would be directed to the latest page, rather than refreshing the
same page. This would allow caching of the maps and reduce the
workload to the server. While this may made for a less interactive
design, it would allow the system to cope with much higher loads.

Another option would be to supply the data to another system, such as
Google maps, which  appears to have been done.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University