[LINK] Who uses dedicated and individual software for web/rss/mail?

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Feb 10 13:38:24 AEDT 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> Does anyone still subscribe to Newsgroups?
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup>

I do but Pathetic Internet stopped doing news feeds and now I cannot
find a decent free feed in Australia anywhere.

I run my own home news server, or I would, except it has no feed.

I need a feed  (news junky going through withdrawl here).
I suppose I could tunnel through work, but they retired USENET there as well :/

I much prefer newsfroups to web forums and the like.   I even liked
the asynchronous timing of it all.  Gave me time to think and read,
read and think.

Web forums/blogs are too immediate and ultimately overwhelming.

I left a couple of forums I was deep into
because firstly I was getting  depressed
at the stupid kinds of monkey species on them and secondly
it was same same same on every one of them eventually.

With newsgroups, you could totally lurk, search, grep scan, archive and
so on without having to interact or go to the other extreme
and have a good old flame war.   Web forums start out ok and then
each thread becomes a either a boring introspective on non related
nonsense or a childish abuse fest.

(will the "filters" let me pass those last three words?!)

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html