[LINK] Fires and Floods

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Feb 10 14:58:59 AEDT 2009

Fires and floods damage Telstra network

February 10, 2009 http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/fires-and-
floods-damage-telstra-network/2009/02/10/1234028017340.html

Floods and bushfires have caused hundreds of millions of dollars damage
to the nation's communications network, Telstra boss Sol Trujillo says.

The Telstra CEO described the Victorian bushfires and north Queensland
floods as shocking and said his team were on the ground to help with the
recovery.

The fires had burned cables and other infrastructure, which Telstra would
spend hundreds of millions of dollars to fix, he said.

"If you think about plant and equipment getting burned, I think most of
us can visualise how cable gets affected and equipment can get burned and
damaged, but also being underwater is another piece of the story of what
we're going to have to do going forward," he said.

"We're there, we're focused and we're going to do everything that we can."

On Monday, Telstra announced details of a relief package, which includes
free call diversions, mobile calls charged at fixed-line rates, and free
reconnections for those affected by the fires.

Those affected by the bushfires can access disaster relief by contacting
Telstra on 132 203.

--

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley