[LINK] Greening ICT

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Feb 10 16:02:56 AEDT 2009

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Understood and Jacobs(2007) in the FinReview estimates: "that Australia
> probably had about 140,000 sq. metres of data-centre space. "We believe
> that Aus requires another 80,000 sq. metres of data centres in the next
> few years," he said.  www.enterprisedata.com.au/?news/lock-up-your-data

> So.. that would mean 140 containers for all Aussie data-centres, ...
This thread is getting a bit silly, but, assuming it isn't a troll, I
have a question: How much of the data centre space is needed for humans?

The reference states "security measures at these data centres ... range
from access controls such as retinal and hand scans, devices that weigh
you on the way in and the way out" so they obviously have at least some
humans in these buildings.

That means that simplistic space reduction calculations based upon
shrinking technology are a bit inaccurate, and so is moving people to
somewhere else and administering the data centres remotely. All you end
up doing is hiding the problem, not solving it.

Raising expectations to unrealistic heights is not a good idea.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn