[LINK] Obama's stimulus bill

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Feb 10 22:07:22 AEDT 2009

Stimulus Bill Bears Imprint of Technology

By CHARLIE SAVAGE and DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
February 9, 2009 www.nytimes.com (snipped)

What oil was to President Bush, some say, clean energy and technology are
to the Obama White House.

“We have a president who gets it,” said Dean Garfield, the president of
the Information Technology Industry Council, which recently identified
the Senate initiatives in a short list of its top priorities..

Mr. Obama’s advisers say that the administration was only following
through on the public promises he made in a campaign that began with a
call two years ago to curb America’s dependence on foreign oil and extend
broadband access “through the heart of inner cities and rural towns all
across America.”

And they emphasized that Mr. Obama had taken unusual steps to disclose
what those firms were saying, like posting any proposals submitted to the
transition on its Web site, in contrast to the Bush administration’s
fight to keep secret how fossil fuel company executives shaped its energy
policy in 2001.

“Whatever they shared, we put out there so the public could see it,” said
John Podesta, president of the liberal Center for American Progress and
co-chairman of the transition.

(Obama's) promises about a “smart grid” and universal broadband
dovetailed with the dreams of many in the technology industry, as well as
allied fields like renewable energy and electric power.

Drawing on renewable energy sources, like wind turbines and solar panels,
would be easier with a smart grid that could handle inconsistent
electricity production.

More energy would lower the cost of running giant computer servers, and
because such a grid can send signals in both directions, it would also
allow variable pricing for peak hours and could potentially expand the
Internet network, as would extending other forms of broadband lines to
rural and underserved areas. And moving health records online would open
new markets for digital connections, data storage and consumer services.

“They all converge,” said Christopher G. Caine, vice president for
governmental programs at I.B.M., which is in both the smart grid and
health care data businesses. At the transition’s request, I.B.M. prepared
a research report concluding that $30 billion in spending this year on
the smart grid, broadband access and digitized health records would
create approximately 949,000 jobs.

Obama advisers including Mr. Furman, Julius Genachowski and Austan
Goolsbee began soliciting input from the high-tech and alternative energy
interests, including General Motors, I.B.M., Google, the Information
Technology Industry Council and the electric utilities’ Edison Institute.

By October, “there was a query that said ‘if you had money to spend on
broadband as part of this stimulus, what would you propose?’ ” said
Debbie Goldman, a lobbyist for the Communications Workers of America,
which has pushed for greater government spending on broadband.

After the election, the campaign’s policy teams went through their agenda
and selected those items that could have a quick start and natural end
date to identify candidates for a jobs bill.

“Synergies between our short-term goals and our long-term goals,” David
Axelrod, a top adviser to Mr. Obama, said in an interview, “that was the
sweet spot.”

The transition also sought expert advice, holding conference calls and
meetings at its temporary headquarters in Washington with a parade of
industry lobbyists and executives from high-tech and clean energy
companies from mid-November to early December.

On Dec. 2 for example, Ms. Goldman of the communications workers union
made a presentation promoting the jobs that would be created by broadband
spending. On the same day, representatives of all the renewable energy
trade groups sat around a table making pitches to Carol M. Browner, who
is now Mr. Obama’s energy policy chief.

“It was nice they were having us all in so early,” said Karl Gawell of
the Geothermal Industry Association, whose members would benefit from
$400 million in grants in the House version of the stimulus bill.

The process reached a climax when members of the economic team flew to
Chicago for a Dec. 16 meeting with Mr. Obama. The team laid out the
structure of the plan — increased spending on infrastructure, education,
energy and health care, along with tax cuts, financial aid to states and
unemployment and food stamp benefits.

While much of the presentation involved broad themes, Mr. Furman said it
put special focus on “a number of high-priority flagship details” like
the renewable energy and high-tech components. Mr. Obama signed off on
the initial outline, after making a few adjustments.

“The president-elect was particularly interested in the energy component
of the plan and pushed for a more robust effort on the smart grid,” Mr.
Furman recalled..

--

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server