[LINK] Blade servers solve space dilemma

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:12:40 AEDT 2009

2009/2/11 Martin Barry <marty at supine.com>

> $quoted_author = "Bernard Robertson-Dunn" ;
> >
> > 10-12% improvement in space utilisation with blades I can believe.
>
> I'm actually surprised it's not more.
>
> Power density is usually an issue...

I'm not aware of any public co-lo facility in Australia that can support
blade servers at full density. The power and cooling requirements can be
over 10kW - more than what 5 space heaters would draw per rack.
I imagine all these server salespeople doing ROI calculations "you can go
from 40 racks to 10, saving 75% of your co-lo bill" then the co-lo operators
tell them they can only support quarter full racks.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs