[LINK] Blade servers solve space dilemma

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu Feb 12 10:01:31 AEDT 2009

Tom Worthington wrote:
> At 10:29 AM 11/02/2009, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> <brd>
>> 10-12% improvement in space utilisation with blades I can believe.
>>
>> Tom's factor of 100 I find difficult to take seriously, even with
>> virtualisation and application optimisation.</brd> ...
>
> An example I have mentioned on Link previously is the use of the
> Australian Arms (aka Commonwealth Crest)
> <http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/epolicy.html#edocs>. Most Australian
> Government agencies now use the same logo. But due to poorly thought
> out guidelines, each agency is required to use a slightly different
> version of the logo, stopping agencies from sharing the one electronic
> copy online. Due to poor implementation each agency seems to use many
> copies of inefficiently encoded versions of the logo. In one case I
> was e-mailed a government document where the logo took up 90% of the
> document size and was encoded at one hundred times the size needed. If
> this and similar images were optimized, this should reduce computer
> requirements significantly.

Tom,

It would seem that you are using a few web page/document issues and
extrapolating to all of the government's IT usage.

IMHO, a very dangerous and unjustified thing to do.

According to the Gershon report the government only spends $80million
per year on websites. It could shut down all its internet infrastructure
and hardly impact IT usage at all.

There is no way you could achieve anything like a factor of 10 in
application optimisation of FMIS, HR and OLTP systems. The amount of
data in these systems is expected to grow and the government is always
adding to their functionality via new legislation.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn