[LINK] Fwd: PoliticsOnline, Feb 13, 2009

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sat Feb 14 20:26:11 AEDT 2009

Unfortunately, an SMS warning system requires a registration procedure
which would still leave many without any warning system.
Added to that, many owners have their sms messages set to a single beep
or a silent vibrating tone.

This could be the single strongest argument for the US style (Nextel)
Walkie Talkie option on Cell Phones that have an all cellphones
broadcast capacity.

Optionally landline telephones can be controlled by voltage to ring in a
recognisable warning pattern as could mobile phones within a cell area.

Unfortunately Landlines are often down as a result of fires. A
combination of the two warning systems would alert persons in an area of
iminent danger.

Optional to the foregoing. It may be that the old air raid warning siren
mounted on each GSM tower is the logical fallback. Most GSM towers are
Microwave fed offering a redundancy not necessarily otherwise available
in fire districts.

As GSM towers are at 7 km distances, often with overlapping competitive
towers at offsets, the siren system would merely require to be at the
right high frequency to be heard at considerable distance. At the very
least - it would make the pets in the family start playing up.

Last but not least. Channel 7 might like to donate .5Khz of their 30 khz
3.4 GHz spectrum as an alarm spectrum that connects to Unwired devices
that each community might like to buy connecting its output to a
community fire alarm.

Tom

cnOmIjSnqFNn
i6iQD968LCM00

(ABC) Social Media Explodes in Wake of Deadly Bushfires
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/09/2486463.htm

"Quote Of The Week"

Australian Politicians Enter The World of New Media, Follow in Footsteps

of Obama

"The sooner our politicians see the internet as a vehicle for two-way
communication, not a new medium for old static press statements, the
sooner the inclusive, democratic and liberating power of online
engagement will be harnessed in the same way Obama did - to such a
transformative effect." - Ed Coper, campaigns director at online
activist
group GetUp. (end quote)
--

Cheers,
Stephen

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server