[LINK] Fwd: PoliticsOnline, Feb 13, 2009

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Feb 16 09:44:33 AEDT 2009

On 16/02/2009, at 7:24 AM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> SmartSellingBlog is criticising commercial TV editorial policy on the
> assumption (apparently) that commercial TV is all that exists. It
> should
> also be noted that SmartSellingBlog was writing from Brisbane, which
> presumably wasn't at any risk from fires in Victoria. IOW, the
> complaint
> here is "I wanted to rubber-neck without changing TV channels or
> turning
> on the radio, how dare they let me down!"

This gives me an opportunity to pimp my Crikey piece...
"Twitter: enabling the new global rubberneckers,"
http://www.crikey.com.au/Media-Arts-and-Sports/20090211-Twitter-enabling-the-new-global-rubberneckers.html

> 3) Twitter has a few thousand users (5k is a number I've seen) in
> Australia, rendering it utterly inadequate as a general tool for
> "early
> warning".

I think I was the source of that number. It was (as I recall seeing
it), 1 in 5200 Australian Internet users are on Twitter, rather than
5200 total. Mind you, that's very roughly the same number, or the same
order of magnitude. Ish.

> I wrote in a column last week, and repeat here: watching social media
> advocates crawl over dead bodies and burned houses to plant their own
> flags is a disgusting spectacle.

I couldn't agree more.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia