[LINK] No cash for phone alert system

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Feb 16 13:29:51 AEDT 2009

At 12:35 PM 16/02/2009, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>That falls under the heading of MoLI (mobile location indicator) which
>is still a work-in-progress.
>
>At the moment, though, MoLI focuses on what happens when the mobile
>calls 000 - that is, "how do we pass location information across the
>network boundary after the call is made?" Making it a proactive early
>warning system is another beast entirely.
>
>Offhand (and ignoring SMS options for the moment), the choices seem to be:
>- Always pass location information from all mobiles on all networks to
>the emergency locator, in case an emergency arises (not good).
>- Establish a more ad-hoc system in which, should an emergency arise,
>users logged into the affected base stations are notified to the
>location database.
>
>I really don't think this is merely a simple issue of commercial interests.

Well, could also be a case of registration for 'I have property in xx
area and want to know if anything is going to happen there.' So what
if there are 'false' calls if the person isn't in the area at the
time. Also there may be people who work in the area who would be
worth being advised.

I was told by someone who sorta knows stuff that our GSM phones have
something specific in the signalling that was required and could be
used. He went a bit too technical on me, so I can't remember the
specifics of it. But he seemed to think it was all there in the
mobiles just waiting to be used.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007