[LINK] No cash for phone alert system

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Mon Feb 16 22:49:51 AEDT 2009

On 16/02/2009, at 9:14 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Something specific to your area, and will grab your attention. CFA
> siren
> and police megaphone cruising would be heard by much of country Vic,
> but
> SMS specific to your area (eg quarter-cell?) registered for or
> you're in
> could well save many lives in a fire-prone future.

I hate to be a party pooper but - I live in a rural area[1] and I have
no mobile reception here (ok, if I was willing to give money to Optus,
the phones would work out on the verandah, but I'm not...)
How many rural areas are similar?
Is a mobile-based solution really a solution for rural areas, or is
this all city slicker foolishness? ;)

Lea
[1] Yes! The fires scared us!
--