[LINK] No cash for phone alert system

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Tue Feb 17 07:31:22 AEDT 2009

On 17/02/2009, at 6:59 AM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> In fact, what happens is that the scope gets bigger the instant the
> system has to take care of exceptions - and I would bet the exceptions
> are what make things difficult and expensive.
>
> It would be the wrong outcome entirely if a tabloid "this is easy and
> cheap!" cry gave the country an easy, cheap and non-functional warning
> system.

Everything is easy an cheap if you don't know anything about the field
and how complicated things get in the real world, with it's exceptions
and error conditions and failure modes.

This is another useful time to mention the Dunning-Kruger Effect...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia