[LINK] No cash for phone alert system

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Tue Feb 17 12:19:43 AEDT 2009

On 17/02/2009, at 10:54 AM, Ivan Trundle wrote:

> What I do advocate is that any technology 'solution' is no solution at
> all. I predict that for the next 50 years or more, fires will still
> catch people out, and we will still not have sufficient resources to
> fight all but the smallest of fires, and we will still be calling for
> 'enhanced communication' which will only work fitfully in such
> circumstances.

In a utopian vision there is a solution
(Everyone is entitled to 'kit' which gives them a headset, attached by
an advanced communication system[1] to a base system which has an AI
capable of interpreting speech. People are able to report on an area
'this road closed', 'fire 300m from here. moving fast NNE' and the
central system would be able to determine exactly what is happening
where and feedback through the kit to the people in locations who need
that information, is my 30 second guess at a workable and useful
system ;))
But I agree - less than 50 years? Unlikely.
Even if the technical issues were achievable on a reasonable budget,
we still haven't got past the big brother and privacy issues.

And - we need to accept that we will never have zero losses from major
calamities - not until we have weather control so that we don't have
such calamities.
We can only aim for loss minimisation, so we only lose a small amount
of people and property.

Lea
[1] Avoiding the issue of 'what is a reliable way to stay in contact
that won't give me brain cancer?' ;)