[LINK] Bush Fire Speeds (was Re: home emergencies)

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Feb 20 13:43:42 AEDT 2009

At 13:18 +1100 20/2/09, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
>Was it on LINK or somehwere else where someone noted that the ambient 50
>degree temp was above the flash point of the volatile eucalyptus oils
>and that pockets of the fuel/air mixture were exploding ahead of the
>fire front?
>If that's right, the front could advance much faster than the wind.

That was part of what I was endeavouring to convey with the excerpts
from the Canberra Coroner's Report.  I may have been too vague, sorry.

From: Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita at ramin.com.au>
>I heard mention of Mountain Ash ...

Fortunately one of the main stands of that in the Brindabellas
somehow survived, with the fire going around it.

But Victoria has far bigger stretches of it than the ACT and NSW
mountains, and I fear that, once the critical point has been reached,
the big stuff blazes furiously, and contributes big volumes of oil to
the front.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong