[LINK] They're back - internet over power lines -- IBM

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Feb 20 19:49:10 AEDT 2009

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/ibm-delivers-rural-broadband-over-power-lines/

February 19, 2009, 8:35 am

I.B.M. Delivers Rural Broadband Over Power Lines

By <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/author/saul-hansell/>Saul Hansell

With $7 billion of government money on the line, it's no surprise
that all kinds of companies are claiming they can wire the most
isolated ranchers and cave dwellers with broadband Internet service.

On Thursday, I.B.M.
<http://finance.yahoo.com/news/IBM-and-IBEC-Initiate-iw-14396782.html>piped
up to say that it is working with rural electric cooperatives to
offer high-speed Internet service, delivered over electric power lines.

Technology to send broadband over power lines has been around for
several years, but it typically hasn't been able to offer enough
capacity at a low enough price to beat service from cable and phone companies.

But with government subsidies, the approach is starting to be
deployed in areas that don't have access to other forms of broadband.
[snip]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007