[LINK] Bush Fire Speeds (was Re: home emergencies)

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Feb 21 07:03:05 AEDT 2009

iT writes,

> the FFDI was over 300 in many areas on the day of the fires, this
> resulted in a fire potential that was far off the scale .. message
> is that the fires were much, much bigger than ever before ..

And our fires will continue to get bigger .. already with FFDI such as
this one can imagine suburban firestorms in future, no trees necessary

Ash writes,

> Today, I'd be happy to see a combination of alert systems being used
> in parallel, so that the majority of people would get the warning. in
> the recent heatwave during the fires, we had no power for many hours
> and discovered that our "emergency radio" had flat batteries.

Yes .. a combination of alert systems! With Oz and Ozzie Normal, asleep
with the noisy air-con after a night-cap, and all the other windows wide
open there being no fires at midnight .. all with their plastic flywire..

like mine their mobile is out of range inside, their phones are cordless
and go down with the power .. without elert lots of Normal folk will die.

Cheers,
Stephen