[LINK] List of 6898 WWW servers as of November 7, 1994

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Sat Feb 21 09:47:49 AEDT 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Roger Clarke wrote:

> At 8:59 +1100 21/2/09, Antony Barry wrote:
>> This takes me back - <http://mit.edu/~mkgray/project/comprehensive/
>> lycos.html.gz>. A few of them are still going. Anybody on link
>> recognise their early handiwork?
>
> Over 100 instances of .au
>
> 17 instances of anu., although with some duplicates.
>
> Oh dear, boring old greybeards reminiscing on a greyish Satdy morning.

We are there - I was involved almost at the beginning of the project and we
had the library pages up before many others.  Gopher is there too,
but no more.  I am part of the "revive gopher" tribe....

Things have changed a lot.  Much of the excitement and
wonder and innovation of 1994 has been corporatised, standardised,
homogenised dare I say plagiarised and now we fight different battles.
Instead of fighting for the web at all, now we fight for control of it.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html