[LINK] Tony and ANU

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Feb 22 05:56:54 AEDT 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM, <stephen at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> By the way fella, you're all over the anu.edu.au site do you know?
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 7,950 from anu.edu.au for +'Anthony Barry'
> Results 1 - 10 of about 9,500 from anu.edu.au for +'Antony Barry'.
> Results 1 - 10 of about 17,200 from anu.edu.au for +'Tony Barry'

Google counts worse that my 2 year old nephew.

For starters, single quotes aren't quotes as far as google is concerned, so
presuming that's what you actually used then those are just looking for
"anthony" and "barry" on the same page, not together.

But even changing them to "double quotes" you get to see googles poor
counting.
Results 1 - 10 of about 16,500 from anu.edu.au for "Tony Barry"

But if you actually try and look through the results you'll find you get to
page 35 and it'll stop and change to
Results 341 - 342 of 342 from anu.edu.au for "Tony Barry".
plus a message saying "we have omitted some entries very similar to the 342
already displayed".

If you tell it to show the similar entries, then it sends you back to "1 of
about 16,500" - but once again if you go through them it actually runs out
of results on page 37 at
Results 361 - 364 of 364 from anu.edu.au for "Tony Barry"

What's interesting is that it knows that it's going to run out there -
whilst you're on page 36 it still claims that it's got 16,500 results but in
the page selection it only shows up to page 37. One you go to page 37 it is
the last page, and the number drops to 364.

  Scott.