[LINK] Australian no-show at CeBIT

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Feb 23 09:36:59 AEDT 2009

Antony Barry wrote:
> On 19/02/2009, at 11:01 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:
>
>> My Dad put the proposition a few years ago that the world was changed
>> more by technology in his life-time than in mine.
>>
>> Crystal radio, TV, the battle tank, usable flying machines,
>> plastics, ...
>>
>> To my surprise, I found it was an argument actually worth having!
>

> I've just turned 68 so I'm a bit older than Roger however in my
> lifetime more has been published than in the entire course of human
> history.
>
> I'm a war baby, born in the bleak year of 1941. Menzies was PM in his
> first government and I've lived through Fadden, Curtin, Forde,
> Chifley, Menzies again, Holt, McEwen, Gorton, McMahon, Whitlam,
> Fraser, Hawke, Keating, Howard and now Rudd.
>
> I've seen the introduction of jet planes, affordable air transport,
> the transistor replacing valves, diesel replacing steam trains,
> genetic engineering, TV, FM radio, computers, "microgroove records",
> compact tapes, CDs and DVDs,  the application of relativity other
> than in bombs and nuclear power stations, the maser then the laser.
>
> In that time the British, French, Dutch and Soviet Empires have
> collapsed and the number of countries in the world has almost
> tripled; equal pay for women was introduced into Australia, the

...also the collapse of the Portuguese Empire and the demise of the Chinese
Emperor and creation of the Chinese and Indian Republics.

Let alone women being encouraged to continue their education,
earn a living and care for children.

> Australian Aboriginal were given the vote and a great swathe of what
> were regarded as sexual crimes legalised. Suburbs have become the
> place where most people live and children are predominately delivered
> to school by car instead of walking, biking or using public transport.
>
> Geology has been revolutionised by continental drift theory; genetics
> by the unravelling of DNA with the consequent major changes in
> botany, zoology, taxonomy; physics by quantum electrodynamics and
> chromodynamics and the standard model of nuclear theory and cosmology
> has become a subject.
>
> But then there is post-modernism :-[

and more efficient destruction of the environment in war and peace.

But getting back to CeBit...the NSW government, along with Austrade  were big
supporters and I wonder, if the Sydney CeBit will happen this year.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au