[LINK] Google Inadequacies [Was Re: Tony and ANU]

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Mon Feb 23 11:48:11 AEDT 2009

On 23/02/2009, at 10:14 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:

> Google uses the (at least in 1998) novel approach of (also? or
> exclusively?) determining precedence according to the number of pages
> that point to it, which by inference means how authoritative the page
> is considered by other page-authors:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

Originally the linkpop may have been the only factor they used, but
apparently the algorithm now uses over 200 factors.
Looking at the ranking of sites on a daily basis... trust me, its
complicated, all the factors they must use.
Add in a whole bunch of 'spam filtering' and I begin to suspect the
result set is Chaotic in some cases. Try working with that! :(

> </teaching how to suck eggs>
>
> [i.e. I know Danny knows all this, as do lots of other linkers!  But
> I thought it important that we use evaluative terms in full
> cognisance of the ambiguities involved.]

Indeed :)

Lea