[LINK] Bush Fire Speeds (was Re: home emergencies)

REYNOLDS,Graham Graham.REYNOLDS at deewr.gov.au
Mon Feb 23 15:30:58 AEDT 2009

Jan,

Fires typically burn uphill more rapidly than on the flat or downhill because the fire pre-heats the fuel load in front of it. Convection of hot air (and flammable gases) upwards drys the uphill unburnt fuel, and the distance between the fire front and unburnt fuel is also shorter so that radiant heat has an increased effect. These combine to raise the temperature of combustible fuel to close to its flashpoint and reduces the fuel moisture content.

The rule of thumb for the effect of slope on rate of spread (ROS) is for every 10 degrees of up-slope, double the ROS(compared to on the flat). So 20 degrees of upslope gives 4xROS. You also get more intense fires burning uphill and higher flame heights. Conversely for every 10 degrees of downslope, half the ROS.

There are many other factors involved that will have a significant impact, including fuel moisture content, the fuel load, the mix of fine and heavy fuels (fine fuels burn first and fast), the arrangement of the fuels (compacted vs loose), topology, aspect (eg. NW vs SE slopes)(NW slopes tend to be dryer and have less fuel load), atmospheric conditions, etc. In the end you can end up with a wild fire that is 'unpredictable'. High wind and wind eddies occuring over the top of a ridge can drive a fire rapidly downhill for example.

Regards,
Graham

Dr Graham Reynolds
Interoperability & Digital Architecture, Digital Education Group
;: Graham.Reynolds at deewr.gov.au  ): 02 6240 9312  2: 02 6123 7573