[LINK] deep web

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Feb 24 11:25:37 AEDT 2009

Birch, Jim wrote:
>> (There's also another question. If you put information on the public
> web, why *wouldn't* you want it indexed so people can find it? Either
> you want it public or you don't. Don't you?)

<snip>

Many years ago, I did ask a senior IT manager about their strategy of using a
database for storing their
webpages. They didn't say anything so, I don't know the answer to your question.

However, after looking into Site maps, it appears that they are a/the way
to provide robots with access to databases.

So, the databases may be the result of bad technical advice, which also
applies to proprietary format content on the web or appropriate for the
application. As would specific search/SQL query type capabilities.

There is also the strategy of wanting visitors to use site search engines, which
has obvious limitations - though I am not sure whether the database or the site
search engine idea came first.

The Garnaut report is interesting in how it was presented online in HTML!
And subsequently published in hardcopy.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz