[LINK] Fwd: Pirating movies

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Wed Feb 25 14:40:42 AEDT 2009

For all those interested Monsieur aXXO releases all his new releases on
"sharethefiles.com" of which he releases approximately 48 titles a year
(although last year he was on a break) and his files are downloaded
approximately 38 million times each.
He does not charge for any of his releases.
Based on my valuation of 13 cents per movie, Monssier aXXO is causing
the content industry only $224,640,000 damage per annum on the basis
that you totally disallow any PR value to his work i.e.: Most seeing the
movie would no doubt still want the "cinema" experience with popcorn
etc. And those that don't - would never go to the cinema anyway.

(And I have an empirical dataset on file sharing pre-release movies as
the "trigger" for bunches of 18 year olds going to the movies together.)

However, on the basis that his work enables millions in third world
countries to view content that they would never otherwise obtain (e.g.:
Somalia, China)
Then he is in fact an ambassador extraordinary in promoting western
influences in low gdp or highly censored countries.

There are social benefits to file sharing that far outweigh the
associated costs.

And before you ask Stil..... $0.13 cents is a future model pricing for
deep catalogue. The real value of a movie is around $3.40. (And yes - I
blogged about it.)

Tom