[LINK] Web censorship plan heads towards a dead end

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Feb 27 06:46:22 AEDT 2009

On 26/02/2009, at 11:00 PM, Leah Manta wrote:
> Who defines what the standards of morality are?

Whoever has balance of power in the Senate.

Less cynically, and in an overly-simplistic overview, the Australian
Classification Board (formerly the Office of Film and Literature
Classification) has a set of guidelines to follow, and the ratings for
what counts as G, PG, M, MA15+,. R18+, X and RC are in set under
Broadcasting Services Act.

How is all that set? Through the normal process of political policy
development: compromise, review, representation from community groups
etc.

One could argue that the process will always drift towards greater
restrictions on what can be seen because the people who want to
restrict what we view because the world is an evil, moral cesspit tend
to be more passionate and better organised that those who have a more
relaxed attitude and would tend to leave it to individuals. Also, once
the "we must protect the children" flag is raised it's difficult to
return from that emotional level to a rational debate.

Irene Graham has outlined the current system for the Internet at:
http://libertus.net/censor/netcensor.html

>> And last month, ACMA added an anti-abortion website to its blacklist
>> because it showed photographs of what appears to be aborted foetuses.
>
> Why is this an issue?

I'm not asking whether you're asking why the images are "bad" and
should be blocked, or why it's of concern that such imagers were added
to the AMCA blacklist.

I wrote about this for Crikey.com.au, including a link to the
offending images.
http://www.crikey.com.au/Politics/20090123-So-Conroys-internet-filter-wont-block-political-speech-eh-.html

In brief, while the images are very confronting, they are part of a
political campaign to stop abortion. So while they may be challenging
and something you wouldn't want children to stumble across,
nevertheless they are potentially part of "political speech" and
supposedly protected. It's certainly a blurry boundary. Which has
priority, our right to free speech or the need to protect the children?

However the ACMA blacklist is secret, and this incident was only made
known because the complainant to caused it to be blocked did so with
the specific aim of exposing this problem.

One of the key problems with with ACMA blacklist is its secret,
unaccountable nature. It has been pitched continuously as "mainly
child abuse material" to make it seem something no sane person would
challenge but in fact that's not true.

Again, Ireme Graham is the go-to source. Her description of the ACMA
blacklist is at:http://libertus.net/censor/ispfiltering-au-govplan.html#s_19

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia