[LINK] person spoofing

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Jan 4 10:35:54 AEDT 2009

Beware: in cyberspace, no one can hear you scam
http://www.theage.com.au/national/beware-in-cyberspace-no-one-can-hear-you-scam-20090103-79hs.html?page=-1
Tom Nicol
January 4, 2009

THE growing trend of online "space faking", where users masquerade as
other people, has reignited concerns about the security of social
networking sites.

While space faking is not a crime, federal Home Affairs Minister Bob
Debus said such activity could be a precursor to identity theft.

"This sort of activity can be innocent, but you only have to take it
a few steps forward to commit an identity crime," he said. "Clever
people may be able to use fake identities to gather clues about your
identity and then go on to commit a crime. All users have to be aware
that strangers can access information you put on the internet."

Increasingly, social networking sites are being overrun by space
fakers, who swipe other users' photos and create entirely new
identities for themselves.

Late last year draft legislation was introduced into Parliament that
includes offences for misusing identification to commit an offence.
"In the past it has often been very difficult to prove a fraud. These
new laws would apply across the country, and are punishable by up to
five years' jail," Mr Debus said.

The Australian Federal Police announced recently it would also
intensify the fight against online criminals, signing a joint
co-operation agreement with Telstra.

"Technology-enabled crime is a complex, dynamic environment with new
trends constantly emerging. We must continually look at improving our
methods of detection and prevention," said AFP acting Deputy
Commissioner Andrew Colvin.
[snip]

[One must wonder what is in that agreement]

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007