[LINK] Does video have a future on the Internet? [Was: Freeview Launches In Australia]

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Jan 5 09:33:05 AEDT 2009

Michael Still wrote:
> David Boxall wrote:
>> At 28/11/2008 4:18 PM Michael Still wrote:
>>>  ... I live in the US (where I am paying $0 a gig for traffic). ...
>> I just came across this:
>> <http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/08/giz_explains_how_broadband_usage_caps_will_kill_internet_video-2.html#more>.
>>
>> If - as it seems - the pricing structure in the US is set to change,
>> will Internet video die?
>
> I don't think so. I suspect a lot of customers in the US will simply not
> buy limited use plans, and the vendors will quickly learn that they have
> to sell something the customer wants.

<snip>

There is more to Video on the Internet and on the airwaves, than old fashioned
free to air TV and Radio stations. 3G wireless Internet access and Voip makes
things interesting.

Skype and User/Organisation generated video is present, not just on youtube.
Unfortunately the CEO/Chairman's photo of 10 years ago has been replaced by
Flash and an option to download a player on homepages. Fortunately, Google
enables us to by pass both homepages and PDF/Doc format but still access the
content.

However, I do think that more technical work is still required for video to
become as familiar as still images on the Internet.

I've documented my experience with video on the Interent here:
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/web-video-formats.shtml>
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/eeepc-video-conference.shtml>
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/eeepc-aegean.shtml>

Marghanita