[LINK] home computer techs in Texas license private investigators

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Jan 7 12:56:29 AEDT 2009

January 6, 2009 by Stephanie Mitchell

Texas House Bill
2833 to be Addressed in the 2009 Legislative Session

Under current
language, Texas house bill 2833 can be easily interpreted,
and has been
interpreted by many in our industry, to read that Texas
computer technicians
must be licensed as private investigators.

This has been a hot issue
since Texas lawmakers passed the bill in 2007.
The bill was intended for law
enforcement officials and for
investigative purposes; Without a PI license
computer technicians can
gather, collect and give their customer data, but
they are not allowed
to analyze the data or generate any type of
investigative report
regarding the collected data without obtaining a
private investigator
license.

A representative with the Texas House
Committee on Law Enforcement
reported to KLTV today that Bill 2833 is
expected to be addressed during
the upcoming 2009 legislative
session.

For more on this story see:
http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=9620603

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007