[LINK] Firefox security settings invoked by google??

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sat Jan 10 15:13:13 AEDT 2009

Linkers

This my third try to send this over almost a day. As it contained
some mention of security in the pages I was quoting it is possible
something at ANU was blocking it although I would have hoped for a
bounce or the message being quarantined by mailman for me to approve
which does not seem to have happened nor has it made it into the link
archives. I've cut out the quoted bits which can be accessed at the
site. Here is the story.

An old friend is involved in an NGO which needs to monitor
information about Indonesia. They have a problem with a site they
want to monitor. I looked at the site http://www.indomedia.com/ with
Firefox on a Mac and got a message that it was blocked by firefox as
it was an "attack" site.

There was some javascript on the page which I'm not competent to
interpret. Initially I had javascript turned off. When I temporally
enabled it for the page I got the warning. A link from the warning
gave a more detailed explanation based on an "advisory provided by
google" which said 130 pages had malicious software and the date it
was last checked

My friend wanted some advice but I find I'm not competent to give
much other than suspecting that it would be bad to touch it with  a
Windows machine and _maybe_ it's OK with a Mac or Linux. Would I be
right?

Also I didn't know that google was checking for nasties when it
trawled which seems like a good community service provided they are
accurate. Any comments of how well google is doing on this? Also what
advice should I give my friend?

Thanks

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659  | mailto:tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 3365 2400  | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au