[LINK] ICT Predictions 2009

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jan 12 08:31:46 AEDT 2009

At 10:42 AM 9/01/2009, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>Instead of tinkering around the edges ... the government should look
>at its own behavior first.
>
>... nobody listens to the IT professionals deep in the departments.  ...

That is one reason I loaded the ACS Green ICT course up with business
oriented stuff about carbon trading, business process improvement,
management, auditing  and procurement:
<http://tomw.net.au/moodle/course/view.php?id=11>.

Also I get the students to read a McKinsey & Company report
"Revolutionizing Data Centre Efficiency" (J.M. Kaplan, W Forrest, N.
Kindler, July 2008) which recommends the appointment of an Energy
Czar and transferring financial accountability of data center assets
from Corporate Real Estate to the CIO. This would result in the IT
professionals being more noticed by management:
<http://tomw.net.au/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=267>.

If the ICT people can use management jargon to explain how to measure
CO2 to meet government requirements, suggest ways to reduce the
emissions and at the same time save money, then they are more likely
to be listened to by management. If they just use lots of computer
jargon to complain that they can't change their precious servers,
then no one is going to listen.

ps: Another reason I loaded the course up with management stuff was
that there are not enough ICT people interested in a Green ICT
course, so it needs to be something all those MBA types can do. ;-)

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University